Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes – GF
The credit for this winning recipe goes to Sue Bellmore who shared this via the St. Mary’s CWL cookbook. We sold this as a cake at the bakery and it elicited a wedding proposal from one octogenarian! Amazingly this translates into a gluten-free version that is every bit as fantastic.
Cupcakes, a photo by Anne’s Favourites on Flickr.
I read on someone’s blog they drizzled caramel on top of their chocolate cupcakes with butter icing and I just happened to have some of the Vanilla Bean Salted Caramel Sauce from Barefeet in the Kitchen so I tried that http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.ca/2013/05/vanilla-bean-salted-caramel-sauce-recipe.html. It was a match made in heaven!
Use the Wilton 1M tip to make frosting cupcakes a breeze!
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes – click here for pdf version of recipe
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup margarine
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups GF all purpose flour
1/2 tsp GF baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup yogurt, buttermilk or sour milk
2 cups grated zucchini, unpeeled
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Beat oil, margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light.
- Stir in yogurt.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and cocoa into egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Scrape sides and stir in zucchini and chocolate chips then beat for 2 minutes.
- Fill paper line muffin cups using a quarter cup or a 2 1/4 ounce scoop filled just to level. If you overfill the cupcake tops will be large and difficult to frost and transport.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes, until cupcake springs back when lightly touched, and internal temperature has reached 220°F .
- Makes 22 -24 cupcakes