Cucumber Salad – for pdf version click here cucumber-salad
When the cucumbers are fresh and plentiful I love to make this delicious salad. It is particularly nice with the smaller cucumbers from your garden or the farmers market. I use my mandoline to slice them thinly but I it is easy enough to slice by hand also. Kat mentioned you could use a potato peeler for paper thin slices but I prefer them a bit thicker.
You can definitely adjust the extras in this salad to your taste. I love dill so I almost always add a little fresh or frozen dill weed if I have it but if you do not like dill leave it out. We also love onions so always use red onion but it you are not so keen just use green onion or chives.
Kat’s Cucumber Salad
2 – 3 small cucumbers, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible, about 2 cups
2 Tbsp thinly sliced red onion (optional)
salt as needed
1/3 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp mayonnaise or whipped salad dressing
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp white sugar
1 – 2 Tbsp chives, chopped or green onion
1 Tbsp fresh dill weed (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and slice cucumber and onion as thinly as you can or to your taste.
- You may use a slicer or even a potato peeler but it is easy enough to do them by hand.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Strain off liquid and discard. I let them sit in a strainer over a bowl for about an hour. Squeeze excess water out before dressing.
- For dressing mix sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar, chives and dill.
- Pour over drained cucumbers and onion.
- Top with pepper and adjust seasoning to taste.