Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake – Click here for PDF version
I was a little skeptical when I saw this recipe on Mary Younkin’s blog with actual pumpkin filling in the centre but I was amazed at how well it turned out. I love pumpkin pie and I love coffee cake and the two together are even better!
It is the best coffee cake I have made since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 5 years ago!
Prepare Cake Batter:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups GF AP flour*
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
2 cups pumpkin puree (15 oz)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup light cream or milk, scalded
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup pecans, chopped
* I used 1 cup of my gluten-free AP flour and 1 cup GF bread
- For the cake beat butter and sugar until light, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Sift or stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then beat into with butter mixture.
- Add sour cream and beat again until smooth.
- Prepare filling in a separate bowl by mixing pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, mace, and ginger.
- Add eggs, then scalded cream and whisk until smooth.
- For the topping mix melted butter with brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans and set aside.
- Pour a little more than half the batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan then spread pumpkin filling evenly over all. Spoon remaining batter as evenly as you can over the filling. Do not worry that there are spaces between the batter but get it as even as possible and sprinkle with the topping mixture.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes at 325°F or until cake springs back when lightly touched, a tester comes out clean and cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Cool before serving.